Starting postfix from mailscanner

mog lists at elasticmind.net
Wed Jul 1 11:50:42 IST 2009

Alex Broens wrote:
> On 6/30/2009 11:11 PM, Steve Barnes wrote:
>>> I know that when you install mailscanner with postfix, you are
>>> supposed to disable postfix starting on its own because mailscanner
>>> will turn it on. How does it do it and when?
>>
>> Interesting. I've not seen any documentation to support this
>> (MailScanner starting Postfix itself) in all my reading to date -
>> where did you read about it?
>>
>> I run Postfix with MailScanner and simply use the rc.d/rc.conf to
>> start Postfix and then start MailScanner...did I miss something? :)
>
> check out:
>
> http://mailscanner.info/postfix.html
>
> h2h
>
> Alex

I don't see any reference to mailscanner trying to start postfix on the
http://mailscanner.info/postfix.html web page, and would be very shocked
if that were the case.

I've always used postfix, and have never known a content filter to try
and start an MTA. Personally, it doesn't seem like a logical/sensible
thing to do. System services / daemons such as these are designed to be
started and stopped independently via the rc.d control scripts, so they
do not interfere with each other; I believe it would be highly
undesirable for them to behave any differently.