MailScanner --lint error

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:02:20 IST 2009

2009/6/30 Benedict simon <simon at kmun.gov.kw>:
> Dear All,
>
> I had a Centos 5.3 server and recently upgraded my MailScanner to 4.77
> and the latest clamAV+SA jules package
> everything works fine but
>
> I also installed f-prot 6 newly since i did not have it before
>
> Now when I run MailScanner --lint i see the following
>
> ------------------------
>

> Read 854 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
> Read 8256 hostnames from the phishing blacklists
> Checking version numbers...
> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.77.10) is correct.
>
> Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.
>
> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
> Using SpamAssassin results cache
> Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
> SpamAssassin reported no errors.
> Connected to Processing Attempts Database
> Created Processing Attempts Database successfully
> There are 0 messages in the Processing Attempts Database
> Using locktype = posix
> MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = f-prot clamav"
> Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule, f-prot-6
> Filename Checks: Windows/DOS Executable (1 eicar.com)
> Other Checks: Found 1 problems
> Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
> xargs: /usr/local/f-prot/f-prot: Permission denied
> ./1/eicar.com: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND
>
> -------------------------
>
> jus wondering what the permissions could be
>
> tried to change it to 1001:users but problem persists
>
> apprecite your help
>

> reggards
>
> simon

I'm not a user of f-prot... But it might mean that the invoking user
cannot access the file(s) to be scanned, so perhaps you need amend
your settings for incoming work group (and permissions) so that that
user (-s group) can read the MailScanner work directories. Kind of
like whith clamd (where there is a demon clamd that runs as user/group
clamav (or similar), and need permissions to be able to read the work
directories).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn