Starting postfix from mailscanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 10:29:01 IST 2009

2009/6/30 Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>:
> I know that when you install mailscanner with postfix, you are
> supposed to disable postfix starting on its own because mailscanner
> will turn it on. How does it do it and when?

The rc script will start the configured MTAs "automagically":-).
If you're really interested, read the init script (usually
/etc/init.d/MailScanner) for details... The postfix case may seem a
bit convoluted, since it will handle both a two-instance and
one-instance setup. This is good, not because the two-instance thing
is really needed by MailScanner anymore, but since 1-recipient/message
splitting (needed to get rulesets to operate correctly for all
recipients in a multi-recipient mail) need a two-instance setup (at
least... I haven't figured out a way to do it differently ... yet:-).

If you don't disable the normal startup, nothing much dangerous will
happen... with the one-instance-hold method, the same settings would
be used for all ways of starting postfix. But nothing good either.
Anyway, how to do all this (disabling etc) differ between distros/OSes, so ...:)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn