debugging Spammassassin

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Thu Jan 29 16:14:03 GMT 2009

Ghetti, Ron wrote:

> Batch (1 message) processed in 62.04 seconds
> Batch (1 message) processed in 61.83 seconds
> Batch (2 messages) processed in 111.01 seconds
> Batch (7 messages) processed in 313.62 seconds
> Batch (9 messages) processed in 423.96 seconds
> Batch (10 messages) processed in 719.89 seconds
>
> Those do not seem like fast process times to me,

Those are the worst times I think I've ever seen.  When tuning systems
I'm not happy until I have the average time to process a single message
to <10 seconds.

Generally batch performance improves the larger the batch; however in
your case this doesn't appear to be true - with 10 messages the average
is 72 seconds per message!

I'd guess that you've got some serious breakage in SpamAssassin or in
your DNS resolver.

Find a message in your quarantine directory then run the following and
post the output:

spamassassin -D -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf <
/path/to/quaratined/message

Kind regards,
Steve