debugging Spammassassin

Ghetti, Ron Ron.Ghetti at town.barnstable.ma.us
Thu Jan 29 15:39:30 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Glenn
Steen
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:44 PM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: debugging Spammassassin

2009/1/28 Ghetti, Ron <Ron.Ghetti at town.barnstable.ma.us>:

> Thanks for the quick reply.

Mine is at several hundred seconds (300 IIRC... or 600:-) ... It
affects all SA activites withinMailScanner, like bayes expiry (which
can run for some minutes, if there is a lot to do...). But when you up
the batch size from 30 to 50 you really go the wrong way here... It'll
make the batches take longer to complete, potentially. I'd revert that
change, if I were you;-).

Ok, I see where you are going with this.
I'd orginally had it lower based on documentation somewhere.

What I'm seeing in the logs is the typical batch size of 1 or 2
messages,
That struck me as part of the problem. Guess I'll drop that back down to
around 20

I see what you mean about time out settings now.
Here are some lines from the logs;

Batch (1 message) processed in 62.04 seconds
Batch (1 message) processed in 61.83 seconds
Batch (2 messages) processed in 111.01 seconds
Batch (7 messages) processed in 313.62 seconds
Batch (9 messages) processed in 423.96 seconds
Batch (10 messages) processed in 719.89 seconds

Those do not seem like fast process times to me,
Especially since we have had virus scanning turned off since last
October.

> -Ron

Never pass up a good chance to lay your hands on some better iron:-):-).

Agreed, however it is essentially the same class server as what it is
running on now.
The big change would be moving it from a VM. ( virtual machine )
The advantage with the way it is now is that I can move it to any
hardware in a few
Moments and cut downtime if we have a failure of some kind.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn