debugging Spammassassin

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 19:12:20 GMT 2009

2009/1/28 Ghetti, Ron <Ron.Ghetti at town.barnstable.ma.us>:

> Hello again,
>  Hopefully, I have found something to work with.
>
>  Some Background:
>  Dell PowerEdge 2950 8gb
>  Ubuntu 7.04
>  Perl 5.8.8
>  MailScanner 4.68.8
>  Postfix 2.3.8
>  SpamAssassin 3.2.4
>
>  It's been running this way for several months, with decent performance.
>  At Approx 10k messages per day.
>  Typical day totals
>  There were 10,767 Total messages Recieved.
>  There were 4,225 Messages Queued for delivery.
>  There were 4,328 Messages Delivered.
>  There were 6,143 messages marked as spam.
>  Lately though I'm finding the mail queue backed up with messages and
> timeouts in the logs.
>
> Here is some items from running a debug session:
>
> 10:30:50 Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1088.
> 10:30:50 Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1090.
> 10:30:50 [16928] dbg: config: read_scoreonly_config: cannot open "": No
> such file or directory
>
> 10:31:57 [17013] dbg: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined
> dependency 'DCC_CHECK'

LoadPlugin DCC in one of the pre files, perhaps....

> Probably time for upgrades I imagine but I'd like to determine the
> problem before
> Throwing upgrades into the mix and possibly creating other issues.
>
> Any thoughts ?
Look at your Spam Lists setting in MailScanner, so that it doesn't
contain any dead BLs (like ORDB:-)
Look at spamasssassin separately, as the postfix user....
su - postfix -s /bin/bash
(you might need do "sudo -i" to get an interactive root shell first)
spamassassin -D --lint 2>&1 |less -e
and perhaps
spamassassin -D -t < /path/to/a/message

The --debug-sa option of MailScanner should work too (always in
conjunction with --debug), but I find ituseful to keep things separate
from time to time.

Things to look at:
Bayes: that the bayes_seen file hasn't become too massive, that the
expire runs complete (no expire files in the bayes directory... Up the
SA timeout value in MailScanner if you have them... And perhaps
consider moving to a cron'd force expire instead.
BL timeouts within SA.
Corrupted SpamAssassin results cache (there should be a command
analyse_SpamAssassin_cache ... or similar. I'm not near any MailScnner
host ATM, and the memory isn't what it used to be... Anyway, find and
run that... If it fails, you need scratch that DB (just remove the
file)).
> Thanks
> -Ron
(snip)