Suggestions to block big spam messages

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:17:04 GMT 2009

Hi:

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> There are actually two settings for this.
>
> Max Spam Check Size =
> Max SpamAssassin Size =
>
> You can set the first higher and keep the second lower, so that only the
> first part of the message gets scanned. That should already be able to
> detect the spam.
OK, that's really useful, I didn't remember that SpamAssassin
truncates the message to the first 200 KB (or the corresponding value
in Max SpamAssassin Size). I'm going to allow bigger messages to be
checked by MailScanner and let SpamAssassin truncates them. Thanks

But now I'm seeing that those spam messages are big because their only
content is an image attached or embedded (maybe in html). The image
contains the spam text and its size is about 250-300 KB or bigger.
SpamAssassin would not be able to do detect that image as spam right?
I think SA could be able to read/detect other parts of the message
like the headers.
So, for this kind of spam would I be forced to use some OCR plugin/tool?

Thanks to Glenn also: I will check CRM114, and I do use ClamAV with MailScanner.