Suggestions to block big spam messages

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 14:42:52 GMT 2009

Hi:

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Jethro R Binks
<jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Jethro R Binks wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Jason Voorhees wrote:
>>
>> > By now I only detected that all those spam messages come always from
>> > *.info domains, so I included *.info in my MailScanner blacklist because
>> > I never receive valid messages from those domains.
>>
>> I wonder how you receive messages from this list.
>
> In case my point isn't clear, yes I can see he is sending from a Gmail
> address, but what if one of the clients he is providing service for wants
> to receive mail from the list.  Or he doesn't want to use his Gmail
> address any more for this list.
>
> The point being, of course, that blocking top level domains in their
> entirity usually backfires sooner or later, and you have to maintain
> exceptions.

Yes, but I also wrote "... valid messages from those domains. However I
don't feel this is a good way to solve the issue."

I know that blocking top level domains isn't a good idea, but it works
for my organization now. I only did this to stop receiving the
described spam type but it's just for a short time this
"solution".However I'm looking for a better solution instead of
blocking *.info domains

Any ideas?