WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option --unzip

Simon Jones simonmjones at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 14:30:09 GMT 2009

2009/1/27 Steve Freegard <steve.freegard at fsl.com>:
> Simon Jones wrote:
>> Hi Steve,  thank you.
>>
>> I seem to have resolved the hold queue problem and can see performance
>> is very good on the mailscanner front but smtp is very slow to
>> connect.  It's fine if I restart MS, I get a connection right away on
>> port 25 but it soon slows down and within a couple of mins it takes
>> ages to connect.
>>
>> 20636 pts/0    S+     0:00          \_ grep -i mailscanner
>> 12582 ?        Ss     0:00 MailScanner: master waiting for children, sleeping
>> 12583 ?        S      0:10  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
> <SNIP>
>
> LOL - based on that output; MailScanner is completely quiet - it's not
> doing anything except waiting for messages....
>
> The reason why it slows down within a couple of minutes has nothing to
> do with MailScanner; it's due to the number of concurrent connections in
> Postfix building up.
>
> Based on this you can completely ignore MailScanner as the source of
> your woes; the problem is in Postfix or the database.
>
>> it does smell of DNS but I can do nslookup / dig no probs on the
>> system and I've tried changing the DNS resolvers to different name
>> servers both on and off my network which has made no difference.
>
> Hmmmm - I would have a good look at your Postfix configuration and look
> for any typos in RBL lists etc. as an unlucky typo there could cause all
> sorts of timeouts.
>
>> I also store relay_domains relay_recipients and transport_maps in a mysql db and
>> use _maps.mysql.conf to point postfix to the relevant table.
>
> I don't know much about Postfix interfaces to MySQL; I would check all
> the SQL and make sure there are no 'LIKE' directives within the
> statements and that any WHERE fields are indexed together correctly for
> maximum query speed.   I would also look at using the 'proxymap' service
> to prevent bazillions of concurrent MySQL connections from each of the
> Postfix child processes...
>
>> I tried the Log Speed thing but it didn't seem to show any output in the maillog?
>
> Maybe you haven't got any mail through since you switched it on; a
> simpler grep would be:
>
> grep Batch /path/to/mail/log | grep processed
>
> This still wouldn't hurt leave this on and see how fast your batches are
> completing; (total time / batch size) = average time per message; this
> should be between 1 and 8 seconds - any higher and you have a problem
> somewhere - but I really don't think MailScanner is the source of your
> issues; it's definitely a Postfix problem.
>
> Regards,
> Steve.
> --
I restarted postfix on its own as Jason suggested and this does indeed
allow connections to become available for a short time and then slow
up to as previously described.  This is definately something to do
with postfix and not MS, I've just copied over my main.cf from a
working system and restarted, same results.  I don't have any firewall
config active which would imit connections, the server can resolve its
host name both locally and using dns, ptr works and resolves, postfix
checks out ok with no errors, permissions in /var/spool/ look OK and
match with a working system.  getting stuck now, guess it could be a
denial of service but nothing obviously points to this at the moment.