WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option --unzip

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Jan 27 14:07:24 GMT 2009

Simon Jones wrote:
> Hi Steve,  thank you.
>
> I seem to have resolved the hold queue problem and can see performance
> is very good on the mailscanner front but smtp is very slow to
> connect.  It's fine if I restart MS, I get a connection right away on
> port 25 but it soon slows down and within a couple of mins it takes
> ages to connect.
>
> 20636 pts/0    S+     0:00          \_ grep -i mailscanner
> 12582 ?        Ss     0:00 MailScanner: master waiting for children, sleeping
> 12583 ?        S      0:10  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
<SNIP>

LOL - based on that output; MailScanner is completely quiet - it's not
doing anything except waiting for messages....

The reason why it slows down within a couple of minutes has nothing to
do with MailScanner; it's due to the number of concurrent connections in
Postfix building up.

Based on this you can completely ignore MailScanner as the source of
your woes; the problem is in Postfix or the database.

> it does smell of DNS but I can do nslookup / dig no probs on the
> system and I've tried changing the DNS resolvers to different name
> servers both on and off my network which has made no difference.

Hmmmm - I would have a good look at your Postfix configuration and look
for any typos in RBL lists etc. as an unlucky typo there could cause all
sorts of timeouts.

> I also store relay_domains relay_recipients and transport_maps in a mysql db and
> use _maps.mysql.conf to point postfix to the relevant table.

I don't know much about Postfix interfaces to MySQL; I would check all
the SQL and make sure there are no 'LIKE' directives within the
statements and that any WHERE fields are indexed together correctly for
maximum query speed.   I would also look at using the 'proxymap' service
to prevent bazillions of concurrent MySQL connections from each of the
Postfix child processes...

> I tried the Log Speed thing but it didn't seem to show any output in the maillog?

Maybe you haven't got any mail through since you switched it on; a
simpler grep would be:

grep Batch /path/to/mail/log | grep processed

This still wouldn't hurt leave this on and see how fast your batches are
completing; (total time / batch size) = average time per message; this
should be between 1 and 8 seconds - any higher and you have a problem
somewhere - but I really don't think MailScanner is the source of your
issues; it's definitely a Postfix problem.

Regards,
Steve.