WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option --unzip

Simon Jones simonmjones at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:45:55 GMT 2009

2009/1/27 Steve Freegard <steve.freegard at fsl.com>:
> Simon Jones wrote:
>> I'm tending to lean more towards the mysql db being responsible but
>> I'm still looking in to it.  I have a 4gb mailscanner table which is
>> rather fat I feel, the db server is a quad oppy with 10gb of ram so it
>> has plenty of horses to play with and isn't paging (yep been there
>> before too...) the gateways also cache mysql lookups and I've reduced
>> the amount of stuff it stores in past tweaking but same past
>> experience tells me that slow db access has the same symptoms of that
>> of dns trouble.  Given the dns is and has been working fine I think it
>> has to be something going on with db access.
>
> I don't see how a MailWatch database can affect the performance of your
> incoming Postfix; especially when the database is on a separate server.
>
> Also the size of the database has nothing to do with query speed
> provided indexed queries are used...
>
> You should follow my advice and restart with 'Log Speed = yes' before
> this reoccurs as it will allow you to see how long each batch is taking
> and work out what is causing the slowness.   Also; when this does
> reoccur - the output of 'ps axf | grep -i mailscanner' would also help
> to pinpoint where things are getting stuck.

Hi Steve,  thank you.

I seem to have resolved the hold queue problem and can see performance
is very good on the mailscanner front but smtp is very slow to
connect.  It's fine if I restart MS, I get a connection right away on
port 25 but it soon slows down and within a couple of mins it takes
ages to connect.

20636 pts/0    S+     0:00          \_ grep -i mailscanner
12582 ?        Ss     0:00 MailScanner: master waiting for children, sleeping
12583 ?        S      0:10  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12592 ?        S      0:10  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12610 ?        S      0:09  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12636 ?        S      0:11  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12664 ?        S      0:12  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12681 ?        S      0:24  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12700 ?        S      0:09  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12729 ?        S      0:09  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12760 ?        S      0:10  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12778 ?        S      0:14  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12791 ?        S      0:12  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12827 ?        S      0:07  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12856 ?        S      0:09  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12884 ?        S      0:10  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12931 ?        S      0:08  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
12980 ?        S      0:09  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
13014 ?        S      0:08  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
13069 ?        S      0:07  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages
13105 ?        S      0:12  \_ MailScanner: waiting for messages

it does smell of DNS but I can do nslookup / dig no probs on the
system and I've tried changing the DNS resolvers to different name
servers both on and off my network which has made no difference.  I am
using mailwatch and all works good with that, but I also store
relay_domains relay_recipients and transport_maps in a mysql db and
use _maps.mysql.conf to point postfix to the relevant table.  I've
tried turning on the test option in spam.assassin.prefs.conf, no
change.  Now I'm manually comparing all config files against an
identical system that is working ok, so far no changes have been
required... I'm still looking.  I tried the Log Speed thing but it
didn't seem to show any output in the maillog?

Simon