Email causing MailScanner to go defunct.

shuttlebox shuttlebox at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:56:34 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote on Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:34:54 +0100:
>
>> Look at the setting "Max Spam Check Size", and the comment above it.
>> This is actually quite normal, it seems to me;-). If it bothers you,
>> up the limit a bit and see what happens.
>
> I don't see where it says "won't scan at all". However, the error message
> implies that: "too big for spam checks". I would have *never* assumed that
> such a message gets not scanned *at all*. I expect that for such a message
> the first x bytes are handed over to SA. Like it is done with procmail.
> So, what's correct? Is it skipped or not?

It's the maximum size when to spam check, pretty clear to me. :-)
Really large message are rarely spam so load can be reduced by
skipping them. The feature you're referring to is to speed up what's
actually checked because, say 50k, is usually enough to determine if
it's spam or not.

I check the first 50k but skip if it's above 200k.

--
/peter