Quarantined email testing/troubleshooting

Nikolaos Pavlidis Nikolaos.Pavlidis at beds.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 16:30:46 GMT 2009

Hello all,

We seem to be facing a weird issue and we would appreciate any
assistance with it.
To start with, we are using a solaris + sendmail + MailScanner-4.73.4-2
implementation. Bayes database has been trained with lots of spam and
some ham that got quarantined since the service went live.

We have set mailscanner to separate the mail messages into q and d queue
files so we can put false possitives back in the queue in a more quick
and efficient manner. Spamassassin seemed to be putting automated
Delivery Notifications to quarantine so we trained it back then (the
single mail messages RFC822) to be ham.

Now we have noticed that some Delivery notifications again get
quarantined, only now we have the 2 part emails q and d files.

When we do a test on them "spamassassin -t
-p /etc/mail/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf < d (or q)file"
they both come less than 5.0 points(sometimes even -).

Should the tests be performed in another way? Is the "cat qfile dfile |
spamassassin -t -p /etc/mail/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" the
appropriate way?
When using sa-learn to teach SA which parameters should be used, should
we feed the d file only?
What else could be blocking/sending to quarantine these messages?

I do apologise for the barrage of questions. Any help is much
appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Nik

--