Spamassassin timeouts - Just an observation

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Jan 15 19:31:19 GMT 2009

Steve Campbell wrote on Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:58:01 -0500:

> I don't think I'm getting dns timeouts,

I went to the archives to read some of your earlier replies.

> I have reduced the number of children on all machines from 5 to 3. This
> has reduced the total of timeouts - which sort of points to machine
> capacity. I only use 10 messages per batch. The main machines have 1 GB
> of RAM.

You were running 5 MS children with 1 GB of RAM? Each of these children
might need around 100 MB, so half of that goes to MS+SA alone. You are
using a *lot* of extra rules. That all adds to RAM. Check what "ps
waux|grep Mail" says about memory. Do you run clamd or clamav or even the
clamav module. This also adds to RAM.
Are you checking load average regularly? What does free tell about memory
usage and swap?
Currently, you have disabled all RBL tests, so timeouts, if there are any,
won't show for these, of course.
Have you already timed (a few times) a spamassassin -D -lint run during
normal production hours?
If this is a load issue but occurs not too often (300 timouts out of 10k
processed messages isn't that bad) you might just use a longer timeout
setting for SA or and/or reduce the size of the message that you hand over
to SA.

> Next to try the skip_rbl_checks

you are already skipping!

Kai