Spamassassin timeouts - Just an observation

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Jan 15 17:58:01 GMT 2009

Sorry for the redundant reply I've posted lately. I added the listserver
to my access db and wasn't getting replies. Don't know why or how it
came to be, but I did. I've been working on the problem server and
didn't notice I wasn't receiving MailScanner messges. So I'll try and
catch up with all of your replies.

Kai,

I've posted the spamassassin -D --lint at www.cnpapers.com/salint

I don't think I'm getting dns timeouts, but I could be due to the
overall slowness. Turning on querylog and viewing the log seems to be
fine. I see no slowness there. I'm running a local caching nameserver.

I added zero scores for all the RBLs that were listed in
20_dnsbl_test.cf. It didn't make a difference that I could see. I then
read about skip_rbl_checks in your mail.. I haven't tried this option yet.

I don't see anything about rbl timeouts in any of the log. I'm not sure
what they look like. So I'd have to say "I don't know if I'm getting
them or not.".

Ugo,

Since I didn't get your reply (or anyone else's), my post must have
seemed a little stupid. I seem to be a champ at making a bad situation
worse.

The machine gets so bogged down, it's hard to tell what is and what
isn't messing up when I run the debug and debug-sa. I see no errors though.

Martin,

Thanks for repeating what I didn't see, even though I didn't see yours
either. I've re-read all the replies in the archive, hence the post here.

I have ordered 2 GB more RAM for this machine, so it will be tripled the
original. Should be in next week.

Nigel,

Not sure we're have the same problem or not, but we might be. Misery
loves company.

If I missed anyone, thanks to you as well.

I have also put a throttle on incoming sendmail connections (4). It
originally was 0 (unlimited). All of my sendmail times are set pretty
low. I've played with all sorts of different setting in Mailscanner.conf
like batch size, and the like. I'm back to 3 Children with 30 messages
each. The machine is slowly getting behind again today, although the
load average is not as bad as usual since zeroing all the scores.

Next to try the skip_rbl_checks and then wait for the RAM. If anyone
ventures a view of the page I posted and sees anything. please bring it
to my attention.

Thanks again

Steve