Health update

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 00:27:30 GMT 2009

2009/1/13 Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>:
> on 1-13-2009 3:52 AM Julian Field spake the following:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Well, I've just got back from the hospital, had another meeting with the
>> transplant team.
>>
>> As of now, I'm suspended on the liver waiting list.
>> They are going to do another endoscopy in the next 2 or 3 weeks, and
>> we'll see the outcome of that to see if the varices have gone down at
>> all which will imply better blood flow through my new portal vein
>> replacement.
>> I suspect this will most likely show an improvement.
>>
>> If it does, then the original reason for me being on the list will have
>> gone (well enough). So it will be no longer worth doing what is, in my
>> case, a very difficult and dangerous procedure.
>>
>> So I'm officially suspended from the list at the moment, but not removed.
>>
>> As I've spent the past 15 months or so mentally preparing for the
>> procedure, this is going to take a bit of getting used to. It's going to
>> take a few days to sink in properly.
>>
>> Jules
>>
> If your liver is recovering on its own, then that is GREAT news!
> Transplants are less than ideal, and the anti-rejection drugs are somewhat
> hard on the rest of your system. If your body is starting to heal itself, then
> you are a very lucky man.

Like the AzatioprinI'm gobbling:-) Just prevents your body from
producing white blood cells... and thus weakens the cancer defenses...
Sigh.
But it's not bad, compared to the alternatives.

> All my best, and keep doing what you have been doing to stay healthy.

I too wish you the best, from the snowy Swedish mountains (where I try
to evade all thought of human frailty and toil by a nice mix of
downhill skiing and ... beverages:-).

I'm rather certain that your mail (Julian, that is:) wasn't
particularly ... positive. More like the "straw getting snatched away
by wicked fate" or "legs getting kicked from under you"... I can well
see the psychology involved (not that any of my ailments come close to
yours!), and can only hope that you can turn this into something
really positive, in the end.
Life's a b*tch, Jules. Nothing more to it. But the alternative sucks
worse, so ... hang in there!

Cheers
--
-- Glenn