Upgrade fron 4.61.7 to 4.74.13-2

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 19:36:59 GMT 2009

2009/1/8 Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>:

> look at the homedir!
Indeed;)

>> su - postfix -s /bin/bash
>> -bash-3.00$ spamassassin --lint
>> [19715] warn: config: path "//.spamassassin/user_prefs" is inaccessible:
>> Permission denied
>> -bash-3.00$
>
> you get this strange path because your postfix user has the wrong homedir. It
> should be /var/spool/postfix (That also shows that you don't have to su to
> postfix, it's running as postfix, anyway.)
> If your mail is still not flowing that might also be the reason for it.

I'm leaning toward one of the classics here:
Since the directory SA (as the postfix user) tries to write things to
(user prefs, razor-agent thing, pyzor discover thing etc), some of
that cr*p end up being written somewhere the postfix user _can_ write
... the hold queue... So Dave should perhaps look at that directory
for non-queue files ... and remove them.

How to make sure they never reappear?
First: Set a more reasonable home directory for postfix, like
/var/spool/postfix. Edit /etc/passwd with something safe like vipw

ALTERNATIVE 1
Temporarily make that directory writable by the postfix user
su - postfix -s /bin/bash
spamassassin --lint
spamassassin -t -D < /path/to/a/message
exit
Make the directory non-writable by postfix.
You should now have all the needed directories, like .razor .pyzor and
.spamassassin

ALTERNATIVE 2

Create the directories by hand (in ~postfix) and make them owned by
postfix and writable by postfix.

ALTERNATIVE 3

Use the settings suggested in spam.assassin.prefs.conf (a.k.a.
/etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf) to explicitly set a directory
to use for this. Look in the wiki for similar details for razor and
pyzor (unless they're already in mailscanner.cf ... I fail to
remember).

Any of the alternatives would likely do.

Then, as said, go check/clean your /var/spool/postfix/hold directory
for/from files that aren't Postfix queue files.

>> I am
>> stumped.
>
> This error is absolutely non-critical and can be ignored:
>
> [14255] dbg: config: mkdir /var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin failed: mkdir
> /var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin: Permission denied at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1577
> [14255] dbg: config: Permission denied

I wouldn't exactly call it non-critical, since it might indicate the
error-situation mentioned above:)

> I'm just wondering why you get this error shown at all. It shouldn't show up
> with a simple "spamassassin --lint" (you wrote you ran that, without -D), only
> with "spamassassin --lint -D". I wonder if you have a mix of an older and newer
> SA on your system. The output level of --lint has been changed several times
> during the last year or so, so that it stops outputting uncritical errors. I
> would really advise to remove the SA package, upgrade your CentOS and then
> reapply it. I have to say that I'm not using the "easy install" package provided
> by Jules. I always role my own which is *very* easy to do as they provide a
> working spec file in their source. You just build it with the command given on
> the download page and it works. You may want to try it this way. Maybe Jules has
> an idea, what's wrong with your SA installation (if there is anything wrong).

Might be worth doing:-)
Oh, and before you jump on it, somewhere halfway through ... this
stopped being an answer to your mail solely;-) But you saw that...:-P

> Kai

Cheers
--
-- Glenn