Upgrade fron 4.61.7 to 4.74.13-2

Dave Filchak dave.filchak at senecac.on.ca
Thu Jan 8 17:36:09 GMT 2009

Just an update: not making progress:

Dave Filchak wrote:
> Glenn,
>
> Glenn Steen wrote:
>> 2009/1/8 Dave Filchak <dave.filchak at senecac.on.ca>:

>>> Unfortunately, the user Postfix is set to nologin (
>>> postfix:x:80:80:Postfix
>>> Mail Server:/:/sbin/nologin ) so I cannot sudo to it )
>>>

>> You should do "su - postfix -s /bin/bash" to overcome that. Do it as
>> root, and there will be no password questions.
>> And please do all spamassassin tests as the postfix user... it will
>> matter.
>>
> OK .. here is what I get:
>
> su - postfix -s /bin/bash
> -bash-3.00$ spamassassin --lint
> [19715] warn: config: path "//.spamassassin/user_prefs" is
> inaccessible: Permission denied
> -bash-3.00$
>
> So, this being that I am logging in now as user postfix and we are
> still getting this error says the following: when running this as
> root, obviously MailScanner, running as postfix, could not write the
> roots home directory. Now, logged in a postfix and, because postfix
> does not have a login shell, there is no home directory for postfix ..
> so we still have the same problem. Am I off base here?  I cannot be
> sure but I do not believe we had this error before the upgrade. I even
> went back through all the config file to make sure there was not some
> erroneous entry there. So unless I missed it (entirely possible in my
> state), I am stumped.
>>
>>> I believe it is running without errors now but is still trying to use
>>> /root/,spamassassin/usr_prefs as the preference file. Now that could be
>>> simply when you run --lint or --debug. There is a way to specify
>>> which conf
>>> file to use when debugging .. isn't there?
>>>
>> It should not try do this, unless you are running the test as root.
>> So don't;-).
>>

> Well I was yes ... but see my previous entry.
>> Your MailScanner should have things so that either it places
>> sa-specific things in ~postfix ("/" in your case, which is a bit ...
>> different... Usually set to /var/spool/postfix, or similar), or
>> explicitly put things in /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
>> (appropriately chmoded to allow the postfix user to write there...
>> Including stuff like Razor etc.
>>
> Well again, I do not know why it is trying to write to ~/postfix,
> which does not exist but the directories
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming and /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
> all belong to user postfix

So, running as user postfix, I seem to be in worse shape. I am going to
list the output here in the hopes that someone might have a clue. I have
tried everything I can think of but as I said, I am very much out of
practice here. Also, I have been up for about 35 hours now so I have to
get a few hours of shuteye with the hopes that none of my clients freak out.

Here is the output from --debug as user postfix.

/usr/sbin/MailScanner --debug
Can't call method "close" on an undefined value at
/usr/sbin/mailscanner_create_locks line 47.
Error: Attempt to create locks in /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Locks
failed!
Can't call method "close" on an undefined value at
/usr/sbin/mailscanner_create_locks line 47.
Error: Attempt to create locks in /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Locks
failed!
In Debugging mode, not forking...
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1088.
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1090.
Building a message batch to scan...
Day too small - -94956 > -24856
Sec too small - -94956 < 74752
Have a batch of 3 messages.
max message size is '30000'
config: path "//.spamassassin/user_prefs" is inaccessible: Permission denied
max message size is '30000'
config: path "//.spamassassin/user_prefs" is inaccessible: Permission denied
max message size is '30000'
config: path "//.spamassassin/user_prefs" is inaccessible: Permission denied
max message size is '100000'
max message size is '100000'
max message size is '100000'
Stopping now as you are debugging me.
-bash-3.00$ commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,
<CLIENT> line 1194.