Upgrade fron 4.61.7 to 4.74.13-2

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 16:09:29 GMT 2009

2009/1/8 Dave Filchak <dave.filchak at senecac.on.ca>:
> Denis,
>
> Denis Beauchemin wrote:
>>
>> Dave Filchak a écrit :

>>> In /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002005/updates_spamassassin_org there are many
>>> of the rule files. There is also another bunch at
>>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001/updates_spamassassin_org, which is from the
>>> previous version. Can I just delete this older directory? When I move the
>>> rules in /etc/mail/spamassassin/ into a temp directory, I no longer get that
>>> specific error but I am not sure if the rules and spamassassin are
>>> functioning or not.
>>>
>>> As far as the permissions problem goes, I am using Postfix and
>>> MailScanner is running as user Postfix but isn't it trying to access the
>>> usr_prefs in the root home directory? I never did that before I don't thing
>>> as I believe we were using local.cf for site wide prefs?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Dave,
>>
>> Remove that directory from /etc/mail/spamassassin and test SA with
>> "spamassassin --lint -D".  You should see lines such as:
>> [13334] dbg: config: read file
>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002005/updates_spamassassin_org/60_whitelist_dkim.cf
>>
>> I am not really sure how to debug for Postfix, but I would do "su -
>> postfix" and then try "/usr/sbin/MailScanner --lint".
>
> Unfortunately, the user Postfix is set to nologin ( postfix:x:80:80:Postfix
> Mail Server:/:/sbin/nologin ) so I cannot sudo to it )

You should do "su - postfix -s /bin/bash" to overcome that. Do it as
root, and there will be no password questions.
And please do all spamassassin tests as the postfix user... it will matter.

> I believe it is running without errors now but is still trying to use
> /root/,spamassassin/usr_prefs as the preference file. Now that could be
> simply when you run --lint or --debug. There is a way to specify which conf
> file to use when debugging .. isn't there?
It should not try do this, unless you are running the test as root.
So don't;-).

Your MailScanner should have things so that either it places
sa-specific things in ~postfix ("/" in your case, which is a bit ...
different... Usually set to /var/spool/postfix, or similar), or
explicitly put things in /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
(appropriately chmoded to allow the postfix user to write there...
Including stuff like Razor etc.

> Dave
>>
>> Denis

Cheers