MailScanner not running on FreeBSD v6.4

David Lee david at bass.net.au
Mon Jan 5 04:50:04 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I am currently attempting to install MailScanner (v4.67.6) on a FreeBSD
6.4 server via the ports system. However, when I try and start
MailScanner I just get a whole bunch of <defunct> processes.

When starting MailScanner in debug mode I get the following results:

# mailscanner --debug --debug-sa
In Debugging mode, not forking...
Trying to setlogsock(unix)

*****
If 'awk' (with support for the function strftime) was
available on your $PATH then all the SpamAssassin debug
output would have the current time added to the start of
every line, making debugging far easier.
*****

SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
Fatal error 'Recurse on a private mutex.' at line 986 in file
/usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_mutex.c (errno = 0)
Abort trap: 6

While I could find references to this problem on the internet, I could
not find a solution.

Any one have any ideas what could be the problem?

--
David