How to ignore some recipients in a SpamAssassin Rule Actions ruleset

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 3 01:14:13 GMT 2009

I have searched the list archives and the documentation wiki and
haven't found an answer.

In MailScanner.conf I have

SpamAssassin Rule Actions = %rules-dir%/spamassassin_rule_actions.rules

In spamassassin_rule_actions.rules, what is the proper way to specify a
null action for some recipient. I have

FromOrTo:  default  SA_RULE_NAME=>action_list

and that works fine. I want to exempt a recipient from these actions. I
know for example that I could put

To:  user at example.com  ZZZ_BOGUS_RULE=>action

Where ZZZ_BOGUS_RULE is a non-existent rule, but that seems somewhat
kludgey.

The usual "yes" or "no" don't seem appropriate here as they aren't the
kind of values that are expected for SpamAssassin Rule Actions.

I found through experiment that

To:   user at example.com    ""

seems to work as does

To:   user at example.com    SA_RULE_NAME=>

and

To:   user at example.com    SA_RULE_NAME

but

To:   user at example.com    ,

doesn't work.

Is there a "correct" or a preferred way to do what I want?