Up2date perl problem package perl-5.8.5-36.el4_6.3 is already installed

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 18:38:21 GMT 2009

On 23/2/09 16:31, Remco Barendse wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Steve Freegard wrote:
>
>> Remco Barendse wrote:
>>> I am running rhel-i386-es-4 and i have a problem running up2date :
>>>
>>> Name                                    Version        Rel
>>> perl                                    5.8.5          36.el4_6.3 i386
>>>
>>> Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
>>> RPM package conflict error.  The message was:
>>> Test install failed because of package conflicts:
>>> package perl-5.8.5-36.el4_6.3 is already installed
>>
>> Have you actually checked to see if this is true?
>>
>> rpm -q perl
>>
>> If it already is perl-5.8.5-36.el4_6.3; then it's already been installed
>> and has nothing to do with MailScanner at all - it's up2date that is
>> wrong; you could try clearing it's cache by nuking the
>> /var/spool/up2date directory (or moving it to a .saved).
>
> Yes i did, and the new perl version is indeed already installed.
>
> I already tried nuking the /var/spool/up2date and i also nuked the rpm
> database and rebuilt it. Same story...
>
> I don't know why up2date keeps pushing this update :(
The only help I can offer here is that there is a command-line switch to
./install.sh which causes it to uninstall all its Perl modules, then
gives you the chance to Ctrl-Z it, up2date and then "fg" it to continue
at which point it reinstalls the Perl modules. A very quick and easy
solution for most of the "yum update" and "up2date -u" problems with
MailScanner. You can "./install.sh --help" to get all the command-line
switches.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng