selecting message that should go into MailScanner

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 10:55:31 GMT 2009

2009/2/12 Alessandro Dentella <sandro at e-den.it>:
> Hi,
>
>  I need to setup one postfix + mailscanner bos so that from certain domains
>  that send massive newsletter mails are not checked: there would be no
>  point.
>
>  I thought to go in header_checks and change the regexp something as:
>
>    /^From: .*@newsletter_sendingdomain.com/  OK
>    /^Subject: dabluff5/  OK
>    /^Received:/ HOLD
>
>  but I can't see any differences. I tryed it also with other patterns but it
>  seems it never gets into the first line rule (it goes of course into the
>  last: 'Received'). I wandered if the second overwrites the first as it
>  comes later in parsing the header messages.
>
>  Convinced to simplify my tests I used test on Subject that I can change
>  simply but I believe that that should work. Am I wrong?
>
>  As a second attempt I tried a recepe [1] from Hugo Vanderkooij that I
>  found in the archives thet suggests to go with the filter in the
>  smtpd_client_restrictions with a check_recipient_access, but again I can't
>  make messages go into HOLD with a rule on Subject
>
>  Any hints?
>
>  thanks
>  sandro
>  *:-)
>

> [1] http://hugo.vanderkooij.org/email/mailscanner.htm#HOLD
> --
> Sandro Dentella  *:-)
> http://sqlkit.argolinux.org        SQLkit home page - PyGTK/python/sqlalchemy

Another alternative is to put this in the "Is Definitely not Spam" ruleset

http://www.mailscanner.info/MailScanner.conf.index.html#Is%20Definitely%20Not%20Spam

That way it still gets virus/phishing/etc checked, and these are much
much less heavy than Spam Scanning.

If you divert via Postfix you're creating quite a hole in the setup
and therefore increasing the likelihood of nasty stuff getting in and
thereby increasing the risk of email that you've mitigated by putting
MailScanner in.

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK