ClamAV Mailscanner not using clamd

Ghetti, Ron Ron.Ghetti at town.barnstable.ma.us
Wed Feb 4 21:22:26 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Rick
Cooper
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 11:54 AM

 > On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Ghetti, Ron
 > <Ron.Ghetti at town.barnstable.ma.us> wrote:
 > >  Some Background:
 > >  Dell PowerEdge 2950 8gb Ram
 > >  Ubuntu 7.04
 > >  Perl 5.8.8
 > >  MailScanner 4.68.8
 > >  Postfix 2.3.8
 > >
 > >  ClamAV 94.2 d/loaded from the MailScanner site.
 > >  SpamAssassin 3.2.4
 >
 > You need at least MS 4.72 to use Clam 0.94.x, so much has changed in
 > Clam that you can't use 4.68.

This is not accurate in context. The clamd portion of MailScanner
doesn't
depend on the libclamav versioning as does the perl module. The only
time
the clamd portion of MS would need updated would be if the clamav team
altered the basic protocol and it has been years since they have done
that.
There might be some tweaks to the parser that have taken place since
4.68.8
but changes to clamav it's self have no direct relationship to MS clamd
scanner. In fact you can completely update a clamav package and never
even
restart MailScanner.

BTW: I think this also makes a good argument for supporting spamd, at
least
optionally. It uses less resources, is just as fast as the perl module,
allows for updating without restarting MS. The only drawback I see would
be
the MCP functions. One would have to run to spamd instances on different
sockets because you cannot pass spamd a config file once it's running...
But
I would bet you would still see quite a reduction in resource usage even
with two daemons.

Rick

That's good information Rick, thank you.
Essentially everything was chugging along fine albeit a bit slow.
That was the reason for disabling virus scanning to try and keep
everything moving.
Then later the idea was to try running clamd to see if the performance
was any better.

I think I'm going to continue to tackle the upgrades
But I've got to work through them.
What I have at the moment is the cpan modules won't compile
Because the included clamav module is outdated.

An ancient version stuck in the package manager
And a now older version of MailScanner that needs to be upgraded.

I'll be around for sure...

-Ron

 > Read more here: http://mailscanner.info/ChangeLog
 >
 > I would also recommend using SA 3.2.5 even though it has
 > nothing to do
 > with this problem.
 >
 > --
 > /peter