debugging Spammassassin

Ghetti, Ron Ron.Ghetti at town.barnstable.ma.us
Mon Feb 2 17:04:03 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Steve
Freegard
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:14 AM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: debugging Spammassassin

Ghetti, Ron wrote:

> Batch (1 message) processed in 62.04 seconds
> Batch (1 message) processed in 61.83 seconds
> Batch (2 messages) processed in 111.01 seconds
> Batch (7 messages) processed in 313.62 seconds
> Batch (9 messages) processed in 423.96 seconds
> Batch (10 messages) processed in 719.89 seconds
>
> Those do not seem like fast process times to me,

Those are the worst times I think I've ever seen.  When tuning systems
I'm not happy until I have the average time to process a single message
to <10 seconds.

Generally batch performance improves the larger the batch; however in
your case this doesn't appear to be true - with 10 messages the average
is 72 seconds per message!

I'd guess that you've got some serious breakage in SpamAssassin or in
your DNS resolver.

Find a message in your quarantine directory then run the following and
post the output:

spamassassin -D -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf <
/path/to/quaratined/message

Kind regards,
Steve

Can't seem to get that to work, I have no idea what the postfix password
is.
The numbers do seem a bit better though after adjusting a couple of
settings
And rewriting my report to pick up more info.

Batch processess are much shorter and there are much fewer SA timeouts.
This is from a 24 hour period.

There were 6,925 Total messages Recieved.
There were 5,299 messages marked as spam.
There were 693 Messages Queued for delivery.
There were 771 Messages Delivered.
 Average Batch Time = 11.6 seconds
 SA Timeouts = 5
 Messages Deferred = 13
 Messages Bounced = 5

Spamassassin timeout kicked up to 85 seconds
MaxChildren set to 12
Batch Sizes set to 20
No Virus Scanning
Using Spamhaus-Zen and uribl