Disable MCP notifications for High Spam

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 14:01:11 GMT 2009

On 2/2/09 13:04, Dave Jones wrote:
>> If you can, re-implement your MCP filtering with "SpamAssassin Rule
>> Actions". It gives you much more precise control over what happens to
>> the mail, and will run a lot faster too.
>>

>> On 31/1/09 11:56, Dave Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas how the MCP notifications can be disabled
>>> for High Scoring Spam?  The High Spam is getting caught and deleted
>>> but when it also hits the MCP threshold, the user is getting the
>>> recipient.mcp.report.txt notification.  There are lots of High Spam
>>> that will hit common profanity checks in MCP.
>>>
>>> I found a thread in the maillist archives on "MCP/SPAM Actions" saying
>>> that delete is the last action taken so the MCP notify takes
>>> precedence.   However, I was wondering if there are some recent
>>> feature additions that will allow me to override this now.
>>>
>>> High Scoring Spam Actions = delete
>>> MCP Actions = store notify
>>> High Scoring MCP Actions = store notify
>>>

>> Jules
>>

> If I have 100 or so MCP SA rules, then do I have to create a rule line
> for each one or is there a way to match all of them if they start with
> something unique like "PROFANITY_IN_".  Can I use "PROFANITY_IN_*" so
> it will pick up new rules as I add them or do I have to specify the
> full rule name?

Your easiest solution would be to create a meta rule in SpamAssassin
which triggers if any of your PROFANITY_IN_ rules matches. The syntax is
very simple and is documented in "man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf", and
there are plenty of examples in the rulesets shipped with SpamAssassin.

Then your "SpamAssassin Rule Actions" only has to mention 1 rule.
> So how would I setup the notification rules so that it would use the
> same MCP recipient.mcp.report.txt?
>
> And I guess whitelisting some users from the profanity checks is as
> simple as "not-notify".

Correct.

Jules

--