phishing.bad.sites.conf v ScamNailer

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 18 16:36:26 GMT 2009

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Mark Sapiro wrote on Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:50:41 -0800:
>
>> I don't get it. When I installed the 4.79.4 rpm, it installed a
>> /etc/MailScanner/phishing.bad.sites.conf.rpmnew and
>> update_phishing_sites runs regularly and gets an aproximately 290K
>> phishing.bad.sites.conf.
>>
>> What's the problem?
>
> Hm, thanks for *this* info!
>
> I have an older version (June) and Robert may have as well.
> I suppose something must have changed since then (e.g. retrieval of the
> hostnames like the scamnailer paackage does it?).
>
> I get this output from running the script:
> Reading status from
> /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/phishingupdate/status
> Checking that /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/phishingupdate/cache/2009
> -503 exists... no - reseting..... ok
> Checking that /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/phishingupdate/cache/-1.0
> exists... ok
> I am working with: Current: 2009-504 - 0 and Status: -1 - 0
> This is base update
> Unable to retrieve http://www.mailscanner.tv/.2009-504 :500 Can't connect
> to www.mailscanner.tv:80 (connect: timeout)
> Update required
> Updating live file /etc/MailScanner/phishing.bad.sites.conf
> cp: cannot stat
> `/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/phishingupdate/cache//2009-504': No
> such file or directory
>
> and this leaves one without a phishing.bad.sites.conf as this has been
> moved to phishing.bad.sites.conf.old which will get eventually overwritten
> with an empty file on the next run.

Now I'm really confused. That looks like output from a ScamNailer type
script, yet my, presumably current, /usr/sbin/update_phishing_sites
script doesn't do anything like that (and it's ID is $Id:
update_phishing_sites 3982 2007-06-26 09:00:39Z sysjkf $ indicating it
hasn't changed in years). It is attached as update_phishing_sites.txt