quarantine release might lose mail?

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Thu Dec 17 14:45:26 GMT 2009

On December 17, 2009 12:28:10 PM +0000 Steve Freegard
<steve.freegard at fsl.com> wrote:
> On 17/12/09 12:05, Glenn Steen wrote:
>> 2009/12/17 Frank Cusack<fcusack at fcusack.com>:
> << snipped entire discussion >>
>
> Why anyone still quarantines stuff using the queue file format is
> completely beyond me.
>
> Every MTA supported by MailScanner implements sendmail binary argument
> compatibility so just store your quarantine files in rfc822 format and
> then release them like so:
>
> sendmail user at domain.com -i < /path/to/quarantine/date/id/message
>
> All that is needed for this to work is to exclude 127.0.0.1 from scanning
> via a rulesets on the relevant configuration items ('Scan Messages' being
> the easiest; but least safe).

See my earlier email about how "Read IP Address from Received Header" works.
That was never really answered fully but my takeaway from it is that MS
cannot determine where mail comes from if there are a variable number of
hops from your mx gateway to the MS host.  Meaning, if your MX host is a
hop away, and therefore you need to set "Read IP Address from Received
Header" to 2, then you can never whitelist 127.0.0.1 because that first
Received header will not be parsed by MS.

Perhaps that's wrong but again that's just what I was able piece together
from what answers I did get to that thread.

-frank