quarantine release might lose mail?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 13:22:37 GMT 2009

2009/12/17 Steve Freegard <steve.freegard at fsl.com>:
> On 17/12/09 12:05, Glenn Steen wrote:
>>
>> 2009/12/17 Frank Cusack<fcusack at fcusack.com>:
>
> << snipped entire discussion >>
>
> Why anyone still quarantines stuff using the queue file format is completely
> beyond me.
CC.

> Every MTA supported by MailScanner implements sendmail binary argument
> compatibility so just store your quarantine files in rfc822 format and then
> release them like so:
>
> sendmail user at domain.com -i < /path/to/quarantine/date/id/message
>
> All that is needed for this to work is to exclude 127.0.0.1 from scanning
> via a rulesets on the relevant configuration items ('Scan Messages' being
> the easiest; but least safe).
>
> This way you get a decent audit trail of released messages, it's safe, cross
> platform and still works if you migrate from one MTA to another and no
> kludgy scripts necessary.
>
> This is precisely the reason I elected to only support this method in
> MailWatch.
Not to mention ease of parsing... One format regardless of MTA;-);-)

> Maybe the 'old' instructions on the Wiki should be marked as deprecated and
> replaced with this method being the recommended way to release stuff from a
> quarantine.
I agree. In the postfix case this would be restructure and slightly
rephrase things a bit... I might get some time this weekend to do even
that small a thing. If one wants to use queue files no matter what,
one should use some script like Franks (I just checked the code, no
safeguards... So, to be purely kosher...:-), but perhaps based on some
other shell ...... zsh isn't the most widely installed... Bash or even
sh might be better. And making it obvious that it is a less than
stellar decision to use the queue files at all;)
> Regards,
> Steve.

Cheers
--