Whitelists.

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Dec 4 06:34:41 GMT 2009

On 02/12/09 15:47, Richard Mealing wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a centralised mailwatch but currently I am using white/black list
> per domain ie, not sql.
>
> Does anyone have anything set-up currently that gives the user for their
> domain(s) the ability to configure their own white/black lists?
>
> I’m looking for some sort of customer portal that would let them log in
> and update their own white lists.

Well. I would be cautious with user whitelists.

If anything it is the weak spot of the Barracuda solution. Because users
don't understand email (most of he time). So they end up whitelisting
all sort of silly addresses and then complain about the amount of spam
they get.

Real life example:
They whitelist all of hotmail but get dozens of fake messages each day
from alledged hotmail accounts. That get one or two from a friend each
week that are legit and would not be stopped anyway. (Even when those
are totally not work related.)

So I would be rather cautious and make this a process that you supervise
and forget about automating it.