Spam Actions bounce

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:05:18 GMT 2009

2009/12/1 Frank Cusack <fcusack at fcusack.com>:
> Why does "Spam Actions" have a bounce action available but "High Scoring
> Spam Actions" does not?  And what is the interaction with "Enable Spam
> Bounce"?  Does "Enable Spam Bounce" have to be yes and then also "Spam
> Actions" has to be bounce to bounce a given mail?  From the example
> bounce.rules it doesn't seem so since there is a stern warning that the
> default rule must not be yes.  If both the "Enable Spam Bounce" and the
> "Spam Actions" had to be on then said warning wouldn't be necessary
> because merely enabling the bounce rule doesn't mean that it a bounce
> is sent, it just means that the Spam Actions bounce action can then take
> effect.  But perhaps that warning is just a scare tactic (make sure you
> know what you're doing), because from the "Enable Spam Bounce" description
> it does seem that both settings have to be on.
>
> If in fact both settings have to be on in order to bounce a spam, what
> happens if your only action in "Spam Actions" is bounce?  Is there a
> default action?  What if you have bounce plus other actions?  Is the
> bounce action simply ignored?
>
> I think I'd really like to have bounce capability for "High Scoring Spam
> Actions" as well.  I don't understand why you would limit the bounce
> action to only low-scoring spam since the action itself doesn't make
> sense for spam in general.

Because the "High Scoring Spam" is very very likely to be shite, it
would be idiotic to bounce it. If anything, shove it into the
quarantine.

> Sorry that I'm packing so many questions in here but I figure better
> to get it all in one email than to do a long back and forth.
Yet you lack one:
Should you really use the bounce feature of MailScanner at all?
In almost all cases the answer is a resounding "NO!"...;-)

> thanks
> -frank
> ps. the deeper i get into mailscanner the more i like it!
Yes, that is as expected;-).
Remember that Jules (and a few others, but mainly Jules) has been
tinkering with it for very many years now, constantly adding a feature
here and a feature there... So that MS caters to a lot of tastes and
have the ability to fulfill even the most moronic of policies ... That
doesn't mean one have to actually USE all features provided;-);-)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn