rule patterns

Ralph Bornefeld-Ettmann ilikeuce at bornefeld-ettmann.de
Tue Dec 1 12:45:38 GMT 2009

Frank Cusack schrieb:
> OK this is definitely the last question! :)
>
> rules/README example patterns:
>
>        *@sub.domain.com        # Any user at 1 domain
>        *@*.domain.com          # Any user at any sub-domain of "domain.com"
>
>        host:mail.example.com   # Any hostname
>        host:example.com        # Any domain name
>        host:mail*.example.com  # Any hostname or domain name with wildcards
>
> Shouldn't the first host: example say "a single hostname"?  And the 2nd
> say "a single domain name"?  Likewise the 3rd example.
>
> Is *@domain.com equivalent to host:domain.com?  It would seem so although
> since "host:" isn't really defined I'm not 100% sure it means the part
> after the "@" in the email address being tested.  (only 99.9% sure)
>
> But really what I wanted to get to is that bounce.rules has:
>
> #From:          yourcustomer.com        yes
>
> which doesn't match any of the example patterns in README.  Is bounce.rules
> in error?
>
> -frank
host means host - quite simple.

From: 	host:mail.example.com	yes

reads like this :

If a mail comes from host mail.example.com (no matter what sender domain
is used) then hand over "yes" to the related variable.

From: 	mail.example.com	yes
From: 	*@mail.example.com	yes

read the same

If a mail comes from domain mail.example.com then hand over "yes"

From: 	*@example.com	yes

this handles only mails from example.com, the mail.example.com domain
has to be handeled separately

From: 	*@*.example.com	yes

and this handles mails from any subdomain of example.com but not
directly from example.com

From: 	*@*example.com	yes

this handles mails from example.com and its subdomains but also from
anyexample.com, myexample.com, dumbexample.com ......

HTH

Ralph