rule patterns

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Tue Dec 1 06:41:40 GMT 2009

OK this is definitely the last question! :)

rules/README example patterns:

        *@sub.domain.com        # Any user at 1 domain
        *@*.domain.com          # Any user at any sub-domain of "domain.com"

        host:mail.example.com   # Any hostname
        host:example.com        # Any domain name
        host:mail*.example.com  # Any hostname or domain name with wildcards

Shouldn't the first host: example say "a single hostname"?  And the 2nd
say "a single domain name"?  Likewise the 3rd example.

Is *@domain.com equivalent to host:domain.com?  It would seem so although
since "host:" isn't really defined I'm not 100% sure it means the part
after the "@" in the email address being tested.  (only 99.9% sure)

But really what I wanted to get to is that bounce.rules has:

#From:          yourcustomer.com        yes

which doesn't match any of the example patterns in README.  Is bounce.rules
in error?

-frank