TNEF Problems with version 4.78.14-1

Ehle, Roland roland at inbox4u.de
Mon Aug 31 17:51:08 IST 2009

Hi all,

My box seems to have a problem with TNEF encoded attachment. I am running a rule, to replace winmail.dat from certain senders by the "real" attachments. This rule has been working for months, until I updated to Version 4.77.x

E-Mails with attachment from that sender are put into quarantine and are marked with "Message attempted to kill MailScanner".  I was trying to find a solution and even switched from external tnef decoder to the internal one (as described here in the list), without success. I updated the box to the latest beta version of MailScanner last night, no change.

I am running a 64-Bit version of CENTOS 5.x.

When running MailScanner in debugging mode with an example message I get the following results:

In Debugging mode, not forking...
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Building a message batch to scan...
Have a batch of 1 message.
MIME::Body::File->open /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/6843/n7VGDl9R030438/nwinmail.dat: No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/MIME/Body.pm line 435.

Indeed the directory only contains the original attachment and not a winmail.dat.

Any help and/or hints are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Roland

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

This is CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
This is Perl version 5.008008 (5.8.8)

This is MailScanner version 4.78.14
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File
1.30    Archive::Zip
0.23    bignum
1.04    Carp
2.02    Compress::Zlib
1.119   Convert::BinHex
0.17    Convert::TNEF
2.124   Data::Dumper
2.27    Date::Parse
1.00    DirHandle
1.05    Fcntl
2.74    File::Basename
2.09    File::Copy
2.01    FileHandle
1.08    File::Path
0.20    File::Temp
0.92    Filesys::Df
3.60    HTML::Entities
3.62    HTML::Parser
3.57    HTML::TokeParser
1.23    IO
1.14    IO::File
1.13    IO::Pipe
2.04    Mail::Header
1.89    Math::BigInt
0.22    Math::BigRat
3.05    MIME::Base64
5.427   MIME::Decoder
5.427   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.427   MIME::Head
5.427   MIME::Parser
3.03    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.427   MIME::Tools
0.13    Net::CIDR
1.25    Net::IP
0.18    OLE::Storage_Lite
1.04    Pod::Escapes
3.08    Pod::Simple
1.09    POSIX
1.21    Scalar::Util
1.78    Socket
2.16    Storable
1.4     Sys::Hostname::Long
0.27    Sys::Syslog
1.26    Test::Pod
0.6     Test::Simple
1.68    Time::HiRes
1.02    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
1.52    Archive::Tar
0.23    bignum
2.05    Business::ISBN
20081208        Business::ISBN::Data
1.15    Data::Dump
1.814   DB_File
1.25    DBD::SQLite
1.609   DBI
1.10    Digest
1.01    Digest::HMAC
2.39    Digest::MD5
2.12    Digest::SHA1
1.01    Encode::Detect
0.17008 Error
0.2603  ExtUtils::CBuilder
2.2002  ExtUtils::ParseXS
2.38    Getopt::Long
0.45    Inline
1.08    IO::String
1.10    IO::Zlib
2.21    IP::Country
0.29    Mail::ClamAV
3.002005        Mail::SpamAssassin
v2.006  Mail::SPF
1.999001        Mail::SPF::Query
0.340201        Module::Build
0.20    Net::CIDR::Lite
0.65    Net::DNS
v0.003  Net::DNS::Resolver::Programmable
0.33    Net::LDAP
 4.027  NetAddr::IP
1.94    Parse::RecDescent
missing SAVI