MailScanner and password protected archives

Jules Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 28 17:09:48 IST 2009

What do you have set in "Silent Viruses" and "Non-Forging Viruses"?

 From the docs in MailScanner.conf, either of these settings can contain
this keyword:

#    Zip-Password  : inserting this will stop senders being warned about
#                    password-protected zip files, when they are not
allowed.
#                    This keyword is not needed if you include All-Viruses.

However, there is a note on the end of the doc for the "All-Viruses"
keyword:
"This includes Zip-Password so you don't need to include both."

If you are treating "Zip-Password" as a silent virus, then no-one will
get any notifications and the message will not be quarantined.

What you want to do is add "Zip-Password" to the "Non-Forging Viruses"
list, so it treats all viruses as silent, except for password-protected
archives which will still generate a recipient report and a quarantined
copy.

Hope that makes some sense!

Jules.

On 28/08/2009 10:13, Edward Dam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are running into the exact same issue with MailScanner version
> 4.65.3 with password protected archives.
>
> When *Allow Password-Protected Archives = no*, MailScanner does not
> send the recipient a notification, and the password protected archive
> is not retained (we can’t release it from quarantine)
>
> When *Allow Password-Protected Archives = yes*,  MailScanner just
> allows the attachment through as a blanket rule.
>
> We’d like to see some middle ground. The ability (like with other
> attachments) for it to be quarantined, and we release the one(s) we
> deem legit to recipients while blocking the rest.
>
> Can this be accomplished?
>
> I understand altering the “*Keep Spam And MCP Archive Clean = Yes*” to
> “*No*” would produce this behavior, but it would also quarantine and
> save all attachments with viruses as well – which is not a desired effect.
>
> So basically I am asking if there is a way to configure MailScanner to
> quarantine password protected archives, WITHOUT affecting the other
> settings of MailScanner on a system wide basis (like the Keep Spam And
> MCP Archive Clean” change would do)
>
> Thank you for your time
>
> Ed Dam

Jules