Greylisting... where to start...

ram ram at netcore.co.in
Tue Aug 25 07:22:57 IST 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 20:00 -0500, Jeffry Page wrote:
> OK so I keep hearing how great greylisting is and
> I am always trying to better the mail server, as I hate spam.
>
> Yes I found http://www.greylisting.org
>
> There is just an info overload with links all over.
> No comments or ratings on different methods / scripts so I don't know which
> is best.
>
> I am using sendmail and I already have MIMEDefang installed for something
> else.
>
> I thought implementing something in MIMEDefang would be best?
>

> I do know perl pretty good and can do whatever.

Greylisting should be handled by the MTA , probably by a milter.
Use an existing milter ( unfortunately perl milters are unstable)
But greylisting as a method is not appreciated by all. If you are doing
it for your own domains mails on a single server that should be
perfectly fine. But at a MX host with multiple servers greylists are a
huge pain to manage and create more problems than solve them. Anyway
with spammers using proper MTA's now greylists are not really that
effective IMHO.