image spam again :)

Jonas A. Larsen jonas at vrt.dk
Tue Aug 25 07:18:56 IST 2009

> > we are seeing a lot of image spam again. we are running sa update and
> > the image tings they publish / imageinfo.cf and others. But lately a lot
> > is getting through.
> >

> I hadn't noticed... use zen.spamhaus.org and bl.spamcop.net at SMTP time
> along with 15 mins of greylisting for unknown hosts.  Problem solved.
>
> Regards,
> Steve.

Mmmm well let's be frank Steve, that’s just simply entirely untrue :)

The past weeks have seen a rise in image based spam, where many of them (the
ones that doesn’t hit obvious rbl's etc) slip by even ocr plugins etc.

If you take a look at the SA list you can see lots of people are seeing this
new bunch of image spams and pretty penetrating.

So far there's no sure fire way of stopping it if you are to judge by the sa
users responses.

I use spamhaus and spamcop in mta and greylist, and I've gotten a few of
them myself.

Many of them use the so called "flag" method where the image looks "wavy"
like a flag, which is probably whats disabling the ocr techniques.

If anybody got any advice I'd love to hear it.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Jonas Akrouh Larsen

TechBiz ApS
Laplandsgade 4, 2. sal