Configuration suggestion...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Aug 10 20:02:14 IST 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 13:21 -0500, Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
> What I think he means to ask is if there could be something like:
>
> @include /etc/MailScanner/my.site.conf

	Yeah, that's a really good point.  Probably, a lot more packages
implement this in the form of included files than in the form of string
listed option files.  That's a very good point.  I use that with
OpenSWAN and BIND and a whole bunch of others that require a lot of
custom configurations.  Those even then allow forms like...

@included /etc/MailScanner/conf/*

> Where my.site.conf could have site-specific rules. That way, the
> "global" /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf could have a certain set of
> values (which would work with your existing upgrade_MailScanner_conf
> as-is), but then some very site-specific (as opposed to, say,
> corporate-specific) settings could be "include"d - sort of like some
> programs already work.

> Asterisk is one project where, for example, there are a lot of
> defaults and, depending on context, things can be "include"d. If there
> is an upgrade to MS, upgrade_MailScanner_conf can take care of new
> parameters while keeping old ones in the "main" conf file. Creating a
> "new" instance of MailScanner for the same "corporation" but for a
> different "site" would only require a "site-specific" conf file to be
> included.

	Yeah, Asterisk is another excellent example here.

> Another way I've seen it done is where the "site-specific" file is the
> "main" file - and it "includes" a global-settings file that's
> corporate-wide.

	Yup.  Lots of ways to accomplish the same idea.

> On Aug 10, 2009, at 1:00 PM, Jules Field wrote:
>
> > I don't quite see what that would achieve that the
> > upgrade_MailScanner_conf doesn't.
> > I don't entirely understand your point, sorry.

	Regards,
	Mike