Fedora Core 11 & Mailscanner Install Fails

Jules Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Aug 4 19:18:47 IST 2009

On 04/08/2009 16:24, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I have just done an installation of MailScanner 4.78.6-1 on a
>> fully-patched Fedora 11 system, and both "MailScanner --lint" and
>> "MailScanner -v" work just fine.
>>
>> What does "MailScanner -v" produce on your system?
>> Can you try running the "./install.sh" again, and see what it says
>> about Filesys::Df please?
>
>>> Starting MailScanner daemons:
>>>           incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>>>           outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>>>           MailScanner:       Can't locate Filesys/Df.pm in @INC
>>> (@INC contains: /usr/lib/MailScanner
>>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
>>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/MailScanner) at
>>> /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 91.
>>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 91.
>
> Try the MailScanner install with the rpm -e stuff disabled in the
> install script.
But that is only triggered if the version of MailScanner currently
installed is less than 4.76.11.
Are you upgrading from a version before 4.76.11?

> If i do this with MailScanner current on a Fedora 11 it breaks the
> complete install. It will remove a lot of perl packages before it
> starts installing (rpm -e) and then you get stuff like this.
Because the RPMs are totally different beyond 4.76.11 than they were
before it, so the old ones have to be removed to force the installation
of the new ones. Otherwise you won't be able to "yum upgrade" your
system due to clashes between some of the perl-* RPMs and the perl RPM
itself. 4.76.11 was the point at which I fixed all of that, so earlier
ones have to be removed.

> You can install Filesys via yum but after a MailScanner install run
> they are gone and stuff is broken.
>
> The rpm -e isnt ok Jules :)
But the new Filesys::Df installs just fine on Fedora 11, so I fail to
see why it would be a problem.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng