Preventing multple signatures in email conversation?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 09:29:45 IST 2009

On 30/04/2009 09:09, Anthony Cartmell wrote:
> Perhaps in an ideal world the signature would be a separate MIME part
> in the message, so we wouldn't need to resort to text parsing tricks
> to identify it...
I did try this when I first implemented it, as it's a much neater
solution to the problem. Unfortunately a lot of mail clients didn't play
well with that idea, so I had to resort to the current solution of
inserting the signature in the most likely MIME parts of the message.
This is a pain as it breaks cryptographic signatures of the MIME parts,
but it's the only way most mail clients will display correctly. And a
lot less the half the people in the world use cryptographic signatures
of email messages, so they lost out to the majority. If you want crypto
sigs to work, just turn the feature off :-)

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?