OT: Bounced Email

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 27 18:34:50 IST 2009

Johnny Stork wrote:

>Hmm, ok, but what about these occaisional "probes" I get from a couple
>lists?
>
>Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
>users at spamassassin.apache.org mailing list.
>

>Messages to you from the users mailing list seem to
>have been bouncing. I sent you a warning message, but it bounced.
>I've attached a copy of the bounce message.

I have no idea about ezmlm, but as far as Mailman is concerned,
Mailman's bounce processing can be configured to send probes. If
Mailman is so configured, when a list member reaches the bounce score
threshold, instead of disabling the member's delivery immediately,
Mailman sends a probe message and only disables delivery to the list
member if the probe bounces.

If you receive a probe, it means that other mail to you from the list
has bounced. If you check the archives of the list, you may notice
that you haven't received all messages. Also, Mailman's probe contains
a copy of the 'bounce' DSN that was returned to Mailman. This may help
you figure out why list mail to you is intermittently bouncing.