OT: Bounced Email

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon Apr 27 18:31:19 IST 2009

Johnny Stork wrote on Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:44:05 -0700:

> Hmm, ok, but what about these occaisional "probes" I get from a couple
> lists?

Yes, these are bounces. However, how should we know why your mail
*sometimes* bounces? There can be umpteen reasons, from connectivity to
load to spam rejection (as already pointed out by Steve).
This is then hardly mailing list-specific. When you get such a mail, go to
your logs and check. Unfortunately, a bounce probe will usually not come
right after it happened, I have seen them come in up to a week later.
Then, of course, it's hard to find something out, unless the message that
bounced is explicitely specified in the probe and identifiable.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany