Found nn messages in the processing-messages database

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 18 04:29:51 IST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 02:20:16AM +0000, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> This is certainly weird, but in a different sense. I have a hard time to find
> any such "number-only" id on my machines. Maybe they only happen with very
> high message volumes?

I don't know why they occur. In my case, looking at the MailScanner Requeue:
messages, I have

# grep -E "Apr 1[4567].*MailScanner.*Requeue:" /var/log/maillog | wc -l
6012
# grep -E "Apr 1[4567].*MailScanner.*Requeue: [0-9]{11}" /var/log/maillog | wc -l
183

On probability alone (10/16)^11, I would expect only about 34 all-decimal
IDs where I see 183.

Coincidently, and I'm sure unrelated, in the same period, I have 34 entries
left in the processing-messages database.

But maybe it's not so strange. In my case, the 6th, 7th and 8th digits of
the Postfix ID are *always* 690. In your case they seem to be F94 so if
they really are constant or at least constant for long periods, all-decimal
is more likely for me and impossible for you.

I also notice my Postfix IDs are 11 hex digits and yours seem to be 10.
I don't know how much if any of this is significant.

--
Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,