scanctl

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 14 09:27:02 IST 2009

I just noticed one more thing. He says it applies to version *3* of
MailScanner, which has only been around for about 5 years or so. I
suspect this page is a little old and no longer relevant. When he wrote
it, MailScanner already did the periodic restarts anyway, but it didn't
do the multiple queue directories, I didn't introduce that until about 2004.
:-)

Jules.

On 14/4/09 09:18, Julian Field wrote:

> On 13/4/09 20:41, Alex Neuman wrote:
>> I came across the following:
>>
>> http://www.entrophy-free.net/mail/scanctl
>>
>> I tried googling for its name + "Julian Field" and came up with
>> nothing, so I turn to you guys... Has anybody here used/heard/thought
>> about this, ever? Don't remember it being mentioned at all on the
>> list either.
> Have just read the documentation included at the above URL, I can't
> see the point in this script at all. Its main 2 features seem to be
> 1) Manages multiple incoming mail queues,
> 2) Restarts MailScanner periodically.
>
> If the author had ever read the MailScanner documentation, he would
> know that
> 1) MailScanner already supports multiple work queues, in a far simpler
> and more flexible way than his suggested setup, this is all explained
> in the "Incoming Queue Dir" setting;
> 2) MailScanner restarts itself periodically for exactly the reasons he
> gives for restarting it, this is all explained in the "Restart Every"
> setting pretty near the top of the MailScanner.conf file.
>
> So I don't see any point in this package at all.
>
> Jules

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng