scanctl

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 14 09:18:04 IST 2009

On 13/4/09 20:41, Alex Neuman wrote:
> I came across the following:
>
> http://www.entrophy-free.net/mail/scanctl
>
> I tried googling for its name + "Julian Field" and came up with
> nothing, so I turn to you guys... Has anybody here used/heard/thought
> about this, ever? Don't remember it being mentioned at all on the list
> either.
Have just read the documentation included at the above URL, I can't see
the point in this script at all. Its main 2 features seem to be
1) Manages multiple incoming mail queues,
2) Restarts MailScanner periodically.

If the author had ever read the MailScanner documentation, he would know
that
1) MailScanner already supports multiple work queues, in a far simpler
and more flexible way than his suggested setup, this is all explained in
the "Incoming Queue Dir" setting;
2) MailScanner restarts itself periodically for exactly the reasons he
gives for restarting it, this is all explained in the "Restart Every"
setting pretty near the top of the MailScanner.conf file.

So I don't see any point in this package at all.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM