OT: Question

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu Apr 2 21:41:51 IST 2009

Rick Cooper wrote:
> Just a query regarding bounces: How many of you actually bounce mail
> anymore? I ask this question because I noted a huge number of rejects on one
> of my servers that appear to be valid bounce attempts to an address of
> info at mydomain.com for the last week or so. I have an ACL that looks at the
> local part of recipients and if that local part is being used it denies the
> message (even null sender) with a message stating there is no such user and
> it's an address currently being joe-jobbed. I see the same ips repeatedly
> attempting a bounce for days.

I've got one: eqnjahdhx at domain.tld. We host the domain, but of course
they don't send the spam. They aren't even aware of it. We are the
joe-jobbed victim. We don't accept the bounces, but they are
annoying, and it's been going on for well over a year. I tightened up
the SPF record, but I don't think that helped much. People who accept,
then bounce mail will eventually learn, or be buried, I think. The 550
error on this one now says "Please dont bounce forged spam". That hasn't
helped either. It just takes time.

Ken

--
Ken Anderson