Start failure due to Compress/Zlib.pm line 9

David Annett annett.david at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 20:34:52 IST 2008

Thanks for the advice Alex, it didn't all work for me but it did keep
the mail running until I could find the fix.  To help others in future
I can say the fix was in the archives about a year back and was:
------
The perl Scalar-Util module in Fedora install is broken. You need to
download the latest version from the website...

I get the error occasionally after perl updates itself.

wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/G/GB/GBARR/Scalar-List-Utils-1.19.tar.gz

tar xzvf Scalar-List-Utils-1.19.tar.gz
cd Scalar-List-Utils-1.19

perl Makefile.PL
make test

make install
--------

I also disabled perl updates in yum in the hope that it won't break
again by adding to /etc/yum.conf the line:
exclude=perl-*
Of course I now have to hope there is not an important perl security
update in future that I don't hear about.