MailScanner on a Postfix Mailgate

Jay Chandler lists at sequestered.net
Thu Sep 25 09:56:02 IST 2008

Howdy, folks; been a while since I've posted here.

For those who may or may not recall, I used to administer MailScanner
(among other things) for $WeTeachYuppies.  I moved on to corporate life
about a year ago, and have been doing all right with mail filtering via
DNS up until now.

My issue is that MailScanner at the old job (as well as MailScanner at
home) run on FreeBSD, which is relatively straightforward.  Running it
on CentOS 5.2 (our platform of choice at work) seems to be a dependency
nightmare, with it being incredibly easy to stomp the MailScanner
installation into oblivion.

Short of putting a gun to someone's head and demanding FreeBSD
mailgates, is there a good solution to this problem?  I can't be the
first person to say "Wait a second, this is nightmarish" about the
upkeep of MS under Linux; I've been running my home install with minimal
maintenance under FreeBSD for two years, yet I can't seem to keep a
system together under Linux for more than one patch cycle without
something important dying...

--
Jay Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist