Start failure due to Compress/Zlib.pm line 9

David Annett annett.david at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 22:59:10 IST 2008

Hi guys,
  MailScanner is failing to start on my CentOS 5 server due to what appears
to be an issue with perl-Archive-Zip.  When I issue a "service MailScanner
start" I get the following error:

Starting MailScanner daemons:
         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         MailScanner:        is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm
line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 79.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 79.
                                                           [  OK  ]

>From what I can gather the issue could be with perl-Archive-Zip and
according to yum is "perl-Archive-Zip.noarch 1.23-1.el5.rf installed".  The
latest version I can find is 1.24 but not packaged for CentOS.

I wellcome any suggestions as the email for my whole domain has now been
down for serveral hours and I'm running out of ideas fo how to fix this!

Thanks in advance
  David