Is MailScanner affected by the Redhat bug

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Sep 18 22:23:24 IST 2008

Dave Jenkins wrote:

>>> Delete these RPMs, upgrade Perl, then just re-run the MailScanner
>>> installer and it will put back the bits it needs. This is pretty
>>> quick and harmless.
>>>
>>> Jules
>> On my CentOS 5.2 boxes, I had to
>>
>>  rpm -e perl-Math-BigRat perl-Math-BigInt perl-bignum perl-File-Temp
>> perl-IO
>>
>>  yum update
>>
>> and then re-run MailScanner's installer.
>
> The conflicts that I saw on CentOS 5.2 all related to man files, e.g.
> ----
>   file /usr/share/man/man3/Math::BigFloat.3pm.gz from install of
> perl-5.8.8-15.el5_2.1 conflicts with file from package
> perl-Math-BigInt-1.89-1.el5.rf
>   file /usr/share/man/man3/Math::BigInt.3pm.gz from install of
> perl-5.8.8-15.el5_2.1 conflicts with file from package
> perl-Math-BigInt-1.89-1.el5.rf
> ----
>
> I've been getting similar errors, but the other way around, from yum
> on CentOS 5.2 and RH5 servers when trying to install updated
> perl-Math-BigInt etc packages from rpmforge.
>
> Because the conflicts only involved man files, contrary to my usual
> caution I used
>   rpm -Uhv --replacefiles
> to install the new perl rpm. All seems to be well and I'm assuming
> there's no need in this case to re-run the MS installer.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice though if the conflicts could be avoided? E.g. if,
> in the same way that perl-Math-BigInt's
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Math/BigFloat.pm can coexist with
> perl's /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Math/BigFloat.pm and be chosen ahead of it
> thanks to @INC, the man files could coexist in different locations
> instead of conflicting.

FSL worked on one solution. I handled it differently by splitting the
packages and using the sitelib way for the binaries.

It seems however there rather different views on the whole matter.
rpmforge will just drop the conflicting packages claiming they are now
part of perl and you shoud leave it at that.

Hugo.

- --